Wednesday, July 30, 2008

What I'm Listening To - "At Mount Zoomer", Wolf Parade

Thanks to Bob Boilen (again), I've been introduced to the music of the Canadian band Wolf Parade. I've just begun listening to "At Mount Zoomer", this year's follow-up to their debut album "Apologies to the Queen Mary" from 2005. (Do any of my readers have that one - and if so, would you tell me what you think?)

Why did I buy this album, when I'd barely heard any of their music? Because Boilen compared them to Sparks. Now, they don't sound exactly like Sparks, but I didn't expect them to. But their sound is certainly unique, like Sparks', and I believe that I will really appreciate their lyrics...well, if I can find them somewhere on the web. You see, their "liner notes" consist of only artwork. It's interesting art, too, like the kind your cool friend in college might have painted. You know what I mean - the friend you envied for his/her ability to make art so easily.

Anyway, on first listen in the car today, I really like their sound. I wouldn't be surprised if some/all of the band members have spent a substantial period of time listening to old Bowie recordings.

Here's the band's page on the website of their label, Sub Pop Records.

I'm going to go ahead and recommend this one, even though it's just had a first pass through my auditory cortex. I'll be listening to "At Mount Zoomer" in the car through the balance of this week.

Janet

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home