Monday, July 28, 2008

John Martyn

Thanks to my officemate Gavin, I've been re-introduced - after a long absence - to the music of British singer/songwriter/guitarist John Martyn.

I originally thought of Martyn purely as a "folkie". But how wrong I was! His music is complicated to categorize. Is it folk? Jazz? Rock? New Age? I think any of those could apply, depending upon which track you have playing on your stereo at the time.

I would describe Martyn as one of those artists that would surely catch your attention if somebody played one of his CDs. You'd say, "Who is that?" - if you didn't already know.

I'm so excited this evening. Martyn is coming to Oxford in November; and John, Gavin and I are going to see him at Oxford's New Theatre. I really appreciate Gavin's getting our tickets today, while I had a day off work.

Have any of my readers ever seen Martyn in concert? I'd love to hear all about your experiences!

Janet

1 Comments:

At 4:55 PM, Blogger Steve White said...

John Martyn - he is looking a little more portly that when I saw him last (but then aren't we all). He was a regular on the College folk scene in the late 60s and early 70s. I saw him many times at Queen Mary College Folk Society (how quaint we had a society for the appreciation of folk music). But even then John M was a bit more adventurous with amplifiction and distortion of his accoustic guitar. I must catch up on his recent stuff. I remember I had The Tumbler one of his early albums.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home