Sunday, June 29, 2008

I'm listening to - "Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends", Coldplay, 2008

I've driven around for about nine days listening to this CD. I love it. But I thought perhaps I shouldn't.

There's always so much hype surrounding the release of a new CD by ultra-popular artists. I'm a big fan of Coldplay. But even I was a bit fearful that "Viva la Vida..." wouldn't live up to the hype.

But I think it's just fantastic. It flows beautifully from start to finish, layered with beautiful texture. I hear Beatles and U2 influences. I love the unexpected sound of the organ that comes and goes throughout some of the songs. There are some interesting rhythms, too, including some Middle East influence.

Coldplay have hidden a couple of tracks within the CD. I'm not going to spoil the fun by telling you where they are. Just keep a watch on your CD player's screen and you'll find them.

Favorite track: "Lost!" (I've been soundtracking it almost constantly.)

Favorite lyrics (from "Violet Hill"):
When the future's architectured
By a carnival of idiots on show
You'd better lie low.

Dare I say that I think it's Chris Martin's best work to date? Well, I do.

Janet

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home