Monday, July 14, 2008

Billy Joel's - "The Stranger"

I got quite a jolt to the ol' brain again this morning.

You see, BBC Radio 2 features a record and a song of the week beginning each Monday. This week's album isn't the usual brand-new release. It's the 30th anniversary edition of Billy Joel's breakout album called "The Stranger".

Right now, I do not need more things to make me feel like I'm getting old!!!!

Enough of feeling sorry for myself - back to "The Stranger" - I didn't realize, until I read the linked article, that this is the biggest-selling album ever released on the Columbia label! It's no wonder. Think of some of the gems on this album - Movin' Out (Anthony's Song), Just The Way You Are, and Scenes From An Italian Restaurant are all classics, aren't they?

Now, for me, it's my second-favorite Billy Joel album. I'll always favor his prior release from 1976, "Turnstiles". I especially love the songs on this one, and I guess I also prefer the pre-Phil Ramone sound.

Here's the playlist for "Turnstiles" - and I'm wondering if any of my readers prefer this album as well:

1. Say Goodbye to Hollywood

2. Summer, Highland Falls

3. All You Wanna Do Is Dance

4. New York State of Mind

5. James

6. Prelude/Angry Young Man

7. I've Loved These Days

8. Miami 2017 (Seen the Lights Go out on Broadway)

One of my life's regrets (other than those relating to relationships...) is that I didn't go see Billy Joel before he hit the big time. I remember that he came to Houston some time in the mid-70s and played in a small venue. But my ex didn't want to see him. I should have grabbed some of my music-loving friends and gone with them. You know what they say: shoulda woulda coulda!

Janet

1 Comments:

At 1:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Janet, I saved up all of my paper route money to buy this album. When did it come out '77? It was my first album, it rocks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home