Monday, March 19, 2007

The Trews

Thanks (again!) to Bob Harris, I have discovered The Trews. He's played the track "Yearning" from their "Den of Thieves" CD several times. I finally broke down and ordered the CD from Amazon. It arrived last week, but today was the first day I've given it a listen...in the car, during today's commute to/from Oxford.

Hearing the first track, at first I thought it was going to be another "GGN" band. (GGN means Gratuitous Guitar Noise -- my own label, I hasten to add, for the sound of those bands who think that making a lot of mediocre noise with their guitars, for no reason other than to create more background behind the singer/singers, makes them sound really cool. I don't agree.) Then I realized that the raucous hard-rock sound was actually very good.

I also initially wished that Chris Daughtry was doing the vocals. I love Chris' voice, and I thought it would be so compatible with The Trews' sound. But after a few more tracks, I completely changed my mind. The Trews' vocals are great. Some interesting harmony. Well-constructed songs. Really good sound. Not a bad cut on the CD, as I realized I'd heard all 15 tracks.

Somehow I thought this was a British band. But I see from the article about them on Wikipedia that the band members are originally from Nova Scotia and are currently based in Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada.

(Here's a reminder to myself to write an article here -- one of these days -- about all of the Canadian artists I've discovered since moving to the UK.)

This is really good stuff! I'm going to take it with me to work and have my officemate Gavin give it a listen, too. Oh, and of course I'll also see what John thinks as well!

And I'm taking it in my car again tomorrow, too. That's a very good indication of how strongly I would recommend "Den of Thieves".

Janet

4 Comments:

At 4:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you like the CD..
Wait until you see them live..You'll be blown away, guaranteed!!!!

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger Janet said...

Hi Nancy,

I was thinking just that as I listened in the car yesterday. I'll bet they are terrific! Hope to catch them on stage one of these days.

Thanks so much for writing!

Janet

 
At 1:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im sure you will see them soon. Den Of Thieve will be release in UK April 27.

 
At 2:39 PM, Blogger Janet said...

Nancy,

Ahhh...didn't realize that the copy I got via Amazon UK was an American CD! Interesting!

Well, I'll help spread the word ahead of the CD's release over here next month!

Janet

 

Post a Comment

<< Home